DPJ’s Wire series delivers news and information straight from the source without translation.
Art Detour 27: An Invitation to Connect the Dots in Downtown Phoenix
Art d’Core Gala Hosted by Mayor Greg Stanton, Downtown Phoenix Inc. and Artlink Inc. Kicks Off a Slate of Community Events
Art Detour, the first event to link the downtown Phoenix arts community, returns for its 27th year on March 7 and 8, 2015. The two-day celebration invites Valley residents and visitors to meet the artists, arts entrepreneurs and businesses that contribute to a thriving downtown Phoenix. Artlink, Inc. produces the event in partnership with its “Articipants”—downtown Phoenix arts districts and destinations that participate in and contribute to the arts community.
More than 100 of these Articipants are expected to make this the largest, two-day, all-access, downtown Phoenix arts event in Art Detour’s 27-year history. It will be kicked off by the second annual Art d’Core Gala on February 21, coincide with the March First Friday, and will be highlighted by neighborhood celebrations and activities, resulting in a full schedule of downtown Phoenix discovery.
The City of Phoenix’s Office of the Mayor, Downtown Phoenix, Inc. and Artlink, Inc. will kick off the festive season with the second annual Art d’Core Gala at 6 p.m. on Saturday, February 21 at Crescent Ballroom. Mayor Greg Stanton will give his “Celebrate Downtown Address,” where he will toast business leaders, small business entrepreneurs, neighborhood groups and the flourishing arts community in an expression of shared pride in Phoenix. This free, fun and formal affair features a live performance by Phoenix Theatre, music, dancing and an eye-popping virtual tour of downtown Phoenix. Guests are encouraged to dress colorfully in creative formal attire.
Connect the Dots
With a map in hand, the public is invited take to the streets of downtown Phoenix on March 7 and 8 to explore working artists’ private studios, standing galleries, “pop-ups”, unique art spaces and colorful murals. There will also be special neighborhood-specific celebrations on both Saturday and Sunday to add to the fun. From 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on both days Artlink will provide free tours with Ollie the Trolley. On-board docents will guide visitors to destinations, highlighted as dots on the map, as the trolley makes stops in Roosevelt Row, Grand Avenue and other locations, providing a unique opportunity to enjoy the fun, festival environment. Restaurants and bars will provide special offers to those who wear Art Detour 27 stickers picked up at the arts destinations.
There will be four park-and-ride hubs where visitors can park, pick up a map, ask questions, and hop on a trolley to explore the full spectrum of arts activities and events along the route. These hubs will be located at the Burton Barr Public Library, Oasis on Grand, CityScape and Arizona Center. Art Detour is transit-friendly with many locations within walking distance of METRO Light Rail stations. GRID Bike Share also has locations along the trolley route and throughout the central corridor. The trolley route also conveniently intersects with METRO light rail.
EVENT SCHEDULE HIGHLIGHTS
In addition to the exhibitions and activities hosted by the over 100 Articipants, the following are events and celebrations that culminate in an artful early 2015.
Art d’Core Gala
- 6 to 10 p.m. on February 21, 2015.
- Crescent Ballroom, 308 N. 2nd Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85003
- There is no charge for this event. For additional information and to RSVP please visit artlinkphoenix.com/art-detour/gala/
- Creative formal attire encouraged for this event hosted by the City of Phoenix’s Office of the Mayor, Downtown Phoenix, Inc. and Artlink, Inc.
March First Friday
- 6 to 10 p.m. on March 6, 2015
- Throughout downtown and central Phoenix
- Typically one of the most popular First Fridays of the year. The Artlink First Friday Trolley Tour will take place as normally scheduled.
Art Detour 27
- 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on March 7 and 8, 2015
- This free weekend event offers programming appropriate for all ages, including the family-friendly “Kids’ Detour” activities at select venues.
PaintPHX – 5th St. Block Party
- 2 to 10 p.m. on March 7, 2015
- 5th Street in Roosevelt Row
- Paint Phx is locally organized, mural painting event and celebration of outdoor mural arts in the city of Phoenix happening in conjunction with Art Detour 27. Local community artists and muralists will be creating multiple new mural projects throughout the city over the Art Detour weekend. The 5th St. Block Party will take place in the epicenter for Phoenix’s mural art scene. The street will be closed to traffic from Roosevelt to Garfield and activities will include new murals being painted, live music, DJs, skateboard demos, a live art battle and live painting on a vintage bus.
Outdoor Screening of Stop Making Sense
- 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. on March 7, 2015 (weather permitting)
- What Should Go Here Pop-Up Park, 1005 N. 2nd Street
- Artlink Inc., No Festival Required Independent Cinema and Palm Pictures Present Stop Making Sense: Talking Heads, hosted by monOrchid and The Lot: What Should Go Here Pop-Up Park. 1980s attire, spontaneous singing and dancing will be encouraged. Please bring blankets or low-back beach chairs for seating.
Detour de Grand
- 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on March 8, 2015 (Group bike ride begins at 10 a.m.)
- Grand Avenue, 1028 NW Grand Ave. (between 10th and 12th Avenues)
- The Grand Avenue Members Association (“GAMA”) will celebrate one of Phoenix’s most iconic and authentic streets. Activities include a group bike ride at 10 a.m. before Art Detour 27 that will follow the route of the Artlink trolley: from Grand Ave., to the Warehouse District, through the core to Roosevelt Row, through historic downtown neighborhoods, and back to Grand Ave.
- Detour de Grand visitors will be able to visit galleries, shops, local vendors, artist’s tents and food trucks. The main event will be a beer garden and stage with local beers and bands open from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. Bring your own bike or grab a GRID bike on Grand Avenue. Attendees can use Grand Ave as their park and ride hub to enjoy Detour de Grand and to catch a trolley to explore the rest of Art Detour 27.
OTHER KEY EVENTS HOSTED BY ARTLINK ARTICIPANTS
Devoured Culinary Classic
- 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on March 7 and 8
- Phoenix Art Museum, 1625 N. Central Ave.
- This culinary arts event hosted by Phoenix Art Museum, Local First Arizona and Devour Phoenix is the perfect pairing for arts patrons. Devour – then Detour!
57th Annual Heard Museum Guild Indian Fair & Market
- 5:30 to 8 P.M. on March 7 and 8
- Heard Museum, 2301 N. Central Ave.
- The iconic cultural event will celebrate the tradition of basket making and other arts.
LINK UP AND GET INVOLVED
- Sign up to become an Articipant and be included on the Art Detour map: artlinkphoenix.com/articipants/.
- Support Artlink’s year-round programs by sending an email to: email@example.com.
- Volunteers are asked to fill out an online volunteer form at: artlinkphoenix.com/volunteer/.
Images courtesy of Artlink Inc.