ASU’s College of Public Programs will host a community forum to discuss job creation in the metropolitan Phoenix area from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 11, at the A.E. England Building at Civic Space Park, 424 N. Central Ave.
The forum is a response to President Barack Obama’s recent call for public debate concerning job creation in communities across the nation. Information discussed at the forum will be compiled into a report and sent to the White House for review.
The forum will begin with brief presentations about existing community building efforts in the service and design sectors and the relationship between entrepreneurship and job creation.
- Dennis Hoffman, ASU Professor of Economics; Director, L. William Seidman Research Institute; and Director, Office of the University Economist
- Debra Friedman, University Vice President and Dean, ASU College of Public Programs: How the College of Public Program’s Spirit of Service Scholars initiative will strengthen the service sector
- Russ Perry, Owner, Keane Creative: How the collaboration within our local design community supports the retention of highly qualified graduates and has the potential to attract new industry-based investment
- Audrey Iffert, University Innovation Fellow, Office of University Initiatives: The connection between entrepreneurship, social capital/networking, and job creation
- Sean Coleman, Orange Slyce, ASU student entrepreneur: How internships enhance human capital and support job creation
Following the panel, participants will break into small groups to discuss:
- What can the university do to better support and prepare our future workforce?
- What are Arizona’s strengths? How can we leverage these strengths to create new jobs in our region? How do we build strong communities to support job creation?
- How can we foster industry-specific collaboration to attract investment to our region?
- What are the current obstacles we face to spark job creation? How do we overcome these obstacles?
Discussion leaders include:
- Sherry Ahrentzen, Ph.D., Associate Director of Research, Policy & Strategic Initiatives, Stardust Center for Affordable Homes & the Family
- Mary E. Dawes, Ph.D., Director of Academic & Career Exploration, ASU University College
- Russ Maloney, Partner, Keane Creative
- Kitty McGrath, Executive Director, Career Services, ASU
- Bruce Mosby, C-Level Management Consulting, Mosby and Company, Inc.
- Roselyn O’Connell, Owner, My Campaign Advisor
Anticipated forum participants include leaders from the business and design communities, elected leaders, current and aspiring entrepreneurs, and ASU faculty and staff.
Also, the Greater Phoenix Economic Council will host an Arizona forum on jobs and economic growth from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 10, at the Biodesign Institute at ASU in Tempe. In addition to the Council, participants include members of the AZ Technology Council, Science Foundation Arizona, labor leaders and nonprofit leaders. The focus is to listen to these leaders about what they believe the White House and Congress should do to help create jobs and restart Arizona’s economy.